The main aim of this projects was to create a space for friendly and productive communication between Estonian- and Russian-speaking youth, to enable them with skills of Media literacy and critical assessment, to introduce them to all activities that happen in the regions and NGOs/companies in charge of those activities, to stimulate their interest in getting involved. All the same we wanted to show Tallinn residents from other regions that Lasnamäe truly is a vibrant and rapidly developing region, despite widespread stereotypes that it is a dull and lacks initiative and activities. We planed to achieve this aim with help of professionals in field of media and involvement of the youth to create several visible products to be later disseminated all around Tallinn and beyond to challenge and debunk these misconceptions.
Youth Media Forum Concept
The purpose of this event was to enhance the image of the Tallinn Lasnamäe district among young people. The main method of interacting with youth was a contact meeting, which took place on September 28-29 at the Linnamäe Russian Lyceum (Tallinna Linnamäe Vene Lütseum, Läänemere tee 31).
The program of the event was built on several methods of youth work. Within these two days, the following methods were used:
- Actor’s method of attracting attention.
- The method of focusing attention on the main goal through the energizer and a clear explanation
- The method of critical analysis of news, the difference between fake news from truthful ones through methods of psychology of influence of authority. This is when a person or publication with authority can allow themselves to put up fake news, since people will trust authority.
- The method of self-expression of one’s choice and its influence under public opinion. Self-expression based on personal beliefs, independent of the opinions of others.
- INSPIRARIUM with stakeholder: the inspiration of the participants with the people living and having experience in the Lasnamäe district. The influence of youth on decision making and familiarity with various areas of society, the media.
- Lecture interactive (gaining knowledge through listening and analyzing material) with the editor of the well-known Russian-language weekly newspaper, radio and television host.
- Reflection – summarizing the day through the exchange of experience and emotions gained during the day.
- A method of analyzing perfectly written speech that does not make sense. Verbosity, the use of beautiful techniques of interaction to the public.
- Learning and working styles test analysis to form balanced teams in which participants will be able to show their maximum potential.
- Team Building Games
- Brainstorming method – analysis of existing problems under the guidance of moderators and mentors.
- A critical analysis of the problems of other teams with the SMART system. (SMART – a modern approach to the formulation of working tasks)
- Analysis of problems from unrealistic solvable to achievable and feasible.
- Proposing a solution to problems by the method of one problem – many solutions from each participant.
- Work with experts from media areas, exchange of experience, the emergence of motivation.
- Summing up and designing the solution on One-pager.
- Presentation of problems + solutions to the jury, answers to questions, advice and recommendations.
- Distribution of mentors (mentors) for the upcoming work on the implementation (partial implementation) of the selected solution.
- Summing up the results of two days, plans for the future, motivation, gratitude.
In this project targets the pupils of Lasnamäe. We involved pupils of all schools, from 9th to 11th grade (15-18y.o.), with a ratio of approximately 90:10% Russian to Estonian-speaking background pupils, respectively. This ratio is based on the population of the Lasnamäe district, which is predominantly populated by a Russian-speaking minority, thus it is impossible to maintain the 50:50 ratio due to demographics. There are 14 basic to secondary education institutions in the district, out of which 10 have our age target group. Out of those, two schools are taught fully in Estonian (Tallinna Kuristiku Gümnaasium and Tallinna Laagna Gümnaasium), one in Russian, but Gymnasium is working as 60% school programme in Estonian (Tallinna Linnamäe Vene Lütseum), four operate in two languages, being mainly targeted at pupils coming from Russian-speaking families (Lasnamäe Gümnaasium, Lasnamäe Vene Gümnaasium, Tallinna Läänemere Gümnaasium and Tallinna Pae Gümnaasium) and two schools with English as main study language (Tallinna Euroopa Koola and Tallinna Rahvusvaheline Kool). Additionally we are planning to involve Lasnamäe Põhikool. There is schools for children with special needs, up to 9th grade – offering this opportunity for the students who are able and willing to participate. Overall, we plan to involve approximately 100 youngsters into the forum.
The 28th of September:
Doors open at 9:45
10:00 – 10:30 – registration, welcome tea / coffee. Division participants into working groups (the stage of inspiration that occurs in Lasnamäe district, each participant can select 4 workshops – INSPIRARIUMS)
10:30-11:00 – Media Youth Forum introduction. Welcome speech from German Embassy representative person and Lasnamae district government. Programme introduction and games get to know each other.
11:00-12:30 – the first wave of Inspirarium – workshops for 45 minutes (2 workrooms per person)
12: 30-13:30 – lunch
13:30-15:00 – the second wave of Inspirarium – workshops for 45 minutes (2 workrooms per person)
15:00-15:30 – tea / coffee break
15:30 – 16:30 – general meeting, summing up the work in workshops and session “Critical thinking” by Media expert Andrei Titov. How to use Media instrument in action.
16: 30-17:00 – summing up the first day (reflection) and give to participant first task – start the brainstorming ideas about own project. Collect ideas for the next day and prepare for MEDIA workshops. Work with critical thinking in Media.
The 29th of September:
Doors open at 9:45
10:00 – 10:30 – welcome tea / coffee
10:30-12:30 – the general collection and after the division into the laboratory for the implementation of ideas. Participants were divided into a working groups and began to elaborate their ideas in detail and choose a common one with the team. They exchanged contacts.
We have to eat before lunch, because the filter starts during lunch
12: 30-13: 30 – lunch
During the lunch we provided filter for presenting ideas and gave opportunity to participants select Media experts for consultation.
From 13: 30-15:15 – the working hours of the experts (45 minutes, 2 times each, before that we have to send everyone and talk where everyone is going)
from 13:30 – 14:15 – the first wave of consultation with EXPERTS
14: 25-15: 15 – the second wave of consultations with EXPERTS
List Media Experts:
- Vitaly Beschastny – PODCAST “HALTURA”, MEDIA AND CREATION OF PODCASTS
Young ex-journalist of the newspaper “Capital”, journalist of the newspaper RUS Delfi, podcasts.
- Andry Padar – TV3, CONTENT PROMOTION, DIGITAL MEDIA AND TV ESTONIAN
Digital media expert, TVPlay promotion specialist. In the past, a specialist in communication in a network of social enterprises (Sotsiaalse Ettevõtluse Võrgustik)
- Andrey Shumakov – DELFI RUS, CREATION AND WRITING OF TEXT
An experienced journalist and media manager with over 20 years of experience in various print and online publications. Earlier, Andrei Shumakov headed the most popular Russian online portal, “Soviet Sport” Sovsport.ru, and was also involved in the development of social networks on ETV +. Since the end of 2018, he became the editor of the Jana magazine, and since May 2019 he has been the head of the Rus.Delfi portal.
- Artemy Sintsov – OPERATOR, HOW TO REMOVE QUALITATIVE AND GOOD VIDEO?
Years of experience in various fields of video production / Including work for television / documentary films / feature films / advertising / video graphics / What includes experience in different segments at the production stage / and at the editing stage / Makes projects at the local level / for clients abroad
- Natalja Kitam – MEDIA EXPERT, PROMOTION AND CREATION OF CONTENT RADIO, TV AND SOCIAL NETWORKS
ERR journalist and former editor-in-chief of the ERR news portal in Russian, editor-in-chief at ETV, head of public relations at Sotsiaalministeerium, ex-producer and host of the Flight program at SKY Radio, former manager in the media field at “Integratsiooni Sihtasutus”. As you can see, Natalya has experience both on TV, in radio and in public organizations.
- Yana Pavlenkova – START-UP TECHNO PROTOTRON PROGRAM, LASNAGORSK SERIES – PR, PROMOTION, MARKETING
Head of the Prototron Foundation, one of the creators of the creative incubator “OBJEKT” and the youth startup program “Spinner”. She also organizes TEDxNarva, is the author and producer of the children’s educational program TECHnolik, broadcast on the ETV + channel, participated in the work of an expert group developing an application from the city of Narva for the title of European Capital of Culture 2024. You can learn about project management, creating start-ups from Yana, and also promoting content and advertising. Yes, and just get inspired, because Yana does not take creativity and energy! An active link to register in the profile description, we are waiting for you.
- Triinu-Liis Klein – UTUBERSHA HOW TO CREATE YOUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND HOW TO GET MANY VIEWS
Influencer Triinu-Liis Klein 17 years old, a student of the gymnasium Gustav Adolf, a beginner youtuber Estonian-speaking Youtube blogger. 2,320 followers, the most popular video of 14,000 views.
15: 15-15:30 – rewarding and thanks to Media experts
15: 30-16:15 – work time to project groups that to finish their idea and draw up on the FLIP chart for presentation + tea / coffee
16:15 – 17:00 – presentation of ideas for one minute and additionally questions from Moderators of the Forum and mentors. We make notes about all ideas and groups. To make everything clear to ourselves.
17: 00-17:15 – summing up, agreement and each team received Moderator for the future independent work (10 projects)
– 31.10 was the deadline that to present products to mediator.
– Each group had a mentor and need to be in touch with him/her
– how the presentation and distribution of products by their own recourses
– filling out feedback after independent work
17: 15-17: 30 – Awarding – certificates to everyone for participating in the forum (hours) and practice separately, who implements his idea. Group photo.
ERR news, ETV+ channel – HERE
Cafe+ morning show, ETV+ channel – HERE
Pealinn magazine – HERE
ERR – HERE
Delfi portal – HERE
Raadio 4, ERR – HERE
|Day 1 photos HERE
Day 2 photos HERE
projects instead of 10
Instagram – HERE
Facebook – HERE